Friday, March 26, 2010

Mom's Recipes 17

Excuses, excuses, but the truth is, I've been slow on this because I've just about gone through all the meals I remember and/or sound like something I might actually make. Dare I say that some sound a trifle dated? I picked this one because it has bacon grease in it, which, as everyone knows, makes everything taste better. The world would be a sadder place without butter, lard and bacon grease.

Black Eye Pea Dip

2 cans blackeyed peas (1 with Peppers)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1/4 bell pepper
2 celery sticks
1 large onion
3 chicken buillion cubes
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup catsup
3-4 drops tabasco (optional)

Dice bell pepper, celery and onion. Add rest of ingredients and stir. Simmer for 30 min. Add 1/2 cup bacon grease, 3 teas flour. Cook 10-15 min. Serve warm with crackers or chips.

No comments: